Thursday, August 8, 2013

Days 3 and 4

August 7, Wednesday
83.4 miles Imlay City to Sarnia via ferry at Marine City, MI      

The day begins with a severe thunderstorm and once the stormiest part is past we leave at 7:50, 62 degrees, in the rain.  We ride in the rain for the next half hour, then gets lighter and within an hour has completely stopped.   I ride with Peter Kempe and Elly Torsius all the way to Marine City at mile 54.  The ride south was hard into a head wind, sunny, and getting hot.  We make it to the ferry at 12:15 and are on board by 12:30.


We receive a very warm welcome on the Canadian side with lots of folks.

They had  lots of Tim Horton coffee, fresh cookies, and cold water.  Many of us just dropped our bikes in our delight for the prospect of free coffee.


Heading north along the St Claire River for the last 30 miles was lovely and fast as we now have a strong tail wind into Sarnia.  I spot the "Norman McLeod" docked just south of Sarnia.  Perhaps this ship is named after my great uncle.  


While most head right to the school, I take the scenic route to Point Edward under the Blue Water Bridge. 


All in all it comes to 84.3 miles.  At the school I set up camp out in the field and spend some time cleaning the grit off my bike from having ridden in the rain.

The folks in Sarnia have decorated the gym like it's a wedding reception.  They have prepared a grand meal for us:  a huge salad, main course (bbq pork chops, sweet corn, baked beans, and potatoes), and dessert buffet.   I eat a lot.  



We had 9 falls today -- a couple of them were rather bad with one rider breaking a femur and requiring surgery.  Not a good day in that regard.  In the evening we had another severe thunderstorm warning for the area and many campers moved indoors.  I decide to ride it out in my tent.  The storm hit just before 10 with lightning and rain but no high winds or hail. I stay dry.  Quiet the rest of the night and a nice cool wind rises during the night to dry the tent. 

August 8, Thursday
67.1 miles Sarnia to London        
Up at 5:50 again.  We all stored our bikes in the school hallways because of last night's storms. 

This morning it is rather breezy with NE winds and in the mid 60’s.    I am on the road at 7 am.    The first 8 miles I rode by myself and was only making 12 mph due to the steady NE wind.  Then a couple of guys caught up with me and I slid in behind them as they were pacing at 16 – a pretty good pace into the wind and we passed a lot of others.  We rode to a Tim Hortons for coffee and a doughnut (15) and then we rode together afterwards until we caught up with a group of 8 who we rode with at a much more relaxed 14.5 mph until mile 45.  With a steady headwind a pace line is very helpful.  
The terrain is very flat and we ride due east.  Reminds me of the saying that it’s so flat that if your dog ran away in a straight line you could still see him tomorrow.   
The last 10 miles or so through London were on a trail which was very nice in spots but a much slower ride; instead of seeing the city we meander under bridges and along a river. 
Arriving into camp (at the London Christian school)  at 1 pm we are pretty early into camp.  For some reason a lot of folks will spread out in the school, but I will sleep much better outside as it will be cool (upper 50's and dry tonight).  Maybe they are just tired of setting up their tents but for me outside is much nicer, softer, private, and I can decide when to turn out the lights.   

1 comment:

  1. So much fun to ride along with you without having to pedal. We are praying daily for you, especially for your safety, and for all the cyclists with you.

    ReplyDelete